Early in 1945 a group of believers in Paonia were enjoying the Bible teaching ministry of Pastor Young. Bible studies were attended by people from many churches and met in various homes. Those who attended longed for a church that centered its teaching on the Bible and sought to bring this about in their various churches. In February and March of l945 this group called itself "An Independent Fellowship" and organized itself into the beginning of a church with the following officers: Mr. R.T. Elliott - clerk; Mrs. Bessie Crosby - treasurer; Mr. J. E. Hughes , Mr. Will McGraw, Mr. Harrison - deacons; Mr. Gordon Hendricks, Mr. George Clock, Mr. W. Cyphers, elders; Mr. J.E. Hughes - board chairman and Sunday school superintendent; Mrs. McGraw, assistant superintendent; Mrs. Crosby, Sunday school treasurer; and Mrs. Dorothy Conkle, Sunday school secretary. The first Sunday school was held at the Will McGraw's residence.